We all want to live in a kind community, where we feel safe and are surrounded by like-minded people – but is this really possible?
Perhaps the steps to creating a kinder community are obvious. To create the community we want, we need to recognise the importance of giving and that small acts of kindness can have a ripple effect around us.
Of course, there are some incredible individuals who have or continue to dedicate their whole lives to others. You’re probably thinking: ‘What good can I do? I am only a small fish in a big ocean’. But even the smallest gesture can be all it takes to improve your day or someone else’s.
It doesn’t need to have monetary value but simply stems from kindness. It could just be a small part of your day or sharing something you may already have with others.
Our small acts can not only benefit others and the wider community but also ourselves too. Making small changes or carrying out acts of kindness can help give us a sense of fulfillment as humans. And at the end of the day, we all get to live in a kinder community.
Here are some small things you can do that will have a big impact:
- Say ‘hello’ to a neighbour
- Donate blood
- Share your ideas
- Pass on a good book
- Let the other person lead the conversation
- Turn off the cold water tap when brushing your teeth
- Use names more often when speaking
- Let someone go first or in front of you in a line
- Donate used items
- Encourage others
- Write a letter to an old friend
- Let someone have your seat on the bus
- Show appreciation for something
- Offer to tutor someone
- Donate money to a local charity
- Hold a door open for someone
- Support a local business
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Donate your time
- Smile at a stranger
- Put your phone away at dinner
- Try to do one selfless act per day
- Say good morning/afternoon to a stranger
- Ring a friend unannounced
- Send a handwritten card
- When you feel road rage ensuing, take a breath and simply give way
- Give someone a compliment
- Take a break
- Random act of kindness
- Pick up rubbish you pass
- Cook for someone
Are there any simple acts of kindness that can make a big difference, which you think should be added to the list? Let us know in the comments below.
To find out more about Guild Living’s commitments to Serving Our Communities click here.