They say that being beautiful on the inside is more important than being beautiful on the outside. Well, we think we can have the best of both worlds. Our goal is to make spaces that are both beautifully designed, and also contribute to a more sustainable world.
The world needs more zero carbon buildings and we’re proud to say that all of our buildings will have zero net release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere by 2030. Take a look at what we are doing to get there…
Aligning with Leading Net Zero Carbon Initiatives
We have ambitious goals to be carbon neutral by 2030. Our goals align with leading climate change initiatives like the Royal Institute of British Architects’ (RIBA) to:
- Reduce operational energy demand by at least 75%, before UK offsetting.
- Reduce embodied carbon by at least 50-70%, before UK offsetting.
- Reduce potable water use by at least 40%.
- Achieve all core health and wellbeing targets.
Our goals are also aligned with the Paris Climate Agreement – the first universal, legally binding global climate change agreement as well as the Science Based Targets initiative that clearly defines how we can reduce emissions to limit global warming to below 2°C.
6 Ways We Reduce Carbon
How does Guild Living intend to reach net zero carbon? We have six targeted focuses to do this:
- Minimise our operational energy use.
- Invest in renewable energy such as PV panels on the roofs, along with highly efficient air-source heat pumps and no energy from fossil fuels.
- Reduce construction impact to the environment through efficient design.
- Use highly recycled and low-carbon building materials.
- Carefully choose projects that take carbon out of the atmosphere.
- Green roofs resulting in significant biodiversity net gain and thermal insulation.
The road to becoming net zero carbon will be a challenging one. But this is important to us, so… challenge accepted!
READ OUR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY NEWS.
Sustainable operations and green transport with Ingrid Van Veen.
20 most interesting research studies.
Research to deliver change with Chris Bamford.
Perfect plants for your balcony.
Serving our communities with Sandy Spencer.
8 facts on social responsibility.
STOPageism with Patrick Heesen.
Top 13 workplace changes in the past century.
Guild Living & Social Responsibility with Eugene Marchese.
Is our society ageist?
How to attract new wildlife and create biodiversity in your garden.
Electric avenue: the best compact electric cars for around town.