We’re committed to simple, thoughtful ideas that make a big impact to the future of our planet, like eliminating food waste and single-use plastics. With over 55% of plastic waste in the UK finding its way to landfill and the ocean, we have a responsibility to change our behaviour. So, we will.
Nothing is more important than doing our part and making a difference. And we believe that, together, we’ll achieve our goal of recycling at least 75% of our waste. Here’s how we’ll do it:
Waste Management Plan
It all starts with a plan. It’s the classic 3 R’s: Reducing, Reusing and Recycling – a plan focused on both preventing waste and training our staff and members to help them do the same. This way we will minimise the negative impact on the environment.
Being good isn’t always easy, but we’ve made it as easy as possible with colour-coded recycling bins in central locations. We’re confident that when our communities come together, we’ll exceed our 75% recycling goal in no time.
Don’t you think it’s strange to prepare delicious food only to throw it away? Food waste is a huge problem but one that can be solved with a little planning. If we’re only preparing the food we need, when we need it, we get fresher food and nothing goes to waste. For the smaller appetites, we’ll be offering different portion sizes too.
Single-Use Plastics Policy
From disposable knives and forks to everyday cups, single-use plastic is a huge problem. At Guild Living, we’ll be fighting back against this waste, using real, reusable cups, plates and cutlery across the board – plus we think these are nicer to use anyway!
How we’ll make the biggest difference:
- Offering filtered water in high-quality glass bottles and food in convenient, reusable containers for members and guests. And definitely no plastic straws.
- Our restaurants will avoid pre-packaged food. Because fresh is better anyway.
- No unnecessary packaging for products.
- If items must be single-use, they will of course be recycled.
Driving Awareness for Responsible Waste Management
Ensuring we do as much as possible to reduce, reuse and recycle also means everyone is well informed. We’ll offer training and advice to staff and Guild Members to make sure they know exactly how to help.
Training will include:
- Maintenance and awareness of waste container areas.
- Tracking the quantities of material being reused and recycled, as well as any waste.
- Good housekeeping on site to minimise pollution incidents.
All residents will receive a welcome pack which will set out the details of the waste management programme, including:
- Information on the value of reducing, reusing and recycling waste.
- Waste bin locations, details of which items can be recycled, and how to dispose of bulky items, along with contact details of the waste management team. Just in case we can help with anything.